Skip to main content

Debugging Stories: Problems Logging in

I came across an interesting Debugging Story about login credentials that only worked when the user was seated. Whenever they attempted to login while standing, their credentials failed. Until one wise debugger asked the right question. Read the story here, in this book excerpt from Programming Perls by Jon Louis Bentley.

It reminded me of one of my own stories: the new user whose initial password refused to work.

I was part of a small team making a web portal for a medical insurance company. It would let medical practitioners submit predetermination-of-benefits requests before the proposed procedure was performed. We created a first roll-out to three partner offices, with a minimal set of useful features. We called it our Beta release.

Two of the offices began using the system right away. The third could not log in.


We reset and re-sent the credentials for office #3. Nothing changed. The user got a "login failed" message on every attempt.

"Make sure you type the user name and password exactly as they appear," we reminded the user. But still she could not login.

We examined the server-side logs, which were unfortunately pretty sparse on this initial roll-out. But we had enough to see that it was not a connectivity problem, the attempted but failed login appeared in our logs.

We triple-checked our authorization system, to make sure that the user account did indeed exist, with all the same permissions as the other Beta-testers.

With frustration mounting in one-third of our Beta-testers, we decided to send one of our team across town to the medical office, to trouble-shoot the issue on-site. He watched the user enter the credentials a time or two. While he could visually verify that the id was correct, the masked password input field meant that he could not confirm how the password was being spelled.

So he asked the user to please enter the password one more time, but to only use her index fingers on the keyboard. When the user did so, our guy saw right away that the user was inadvertently capitalizing the first letter of the password. Since the password was a case-sensitive mix of lower-case letters and numbers, of course it was failing.

Even after pointing this out to the user, our guy had to audibly shout "fingers up! fingers up!" when she attempted to login again, while using all her fingers. Her unconscious tic was so ingrained that it took multiple attempts before the user could reliably and correctly type the password.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Items to a ListView using Scala, ScalaFX and FXML

I have been playing with writing an application using Scala, with its API defined in ScalaFX, which wraps the powerful JavaFX library. For simple exercises, coding the UI by hand was enough. But for more complex forms, I began using the JavaFX Scene Builder tool.

Fortunately, others have blazed this trail, and there are fairly stable ScalaFX and ScalaFXML libraries available.

Using the Scene Builder tool, I laid out my form and included a ListBox to hold possible gender selections.

The Scene Builder tool generated fxml code such as:
<AnchorPane maxHeight="-Infinity" maxWidth="-Infinity" minHeight="-Infinity" minWidth="-Infinity" prefHeight="208.0" prefWidth="275.0" xmlns="http://javafx.com/javafx/8" xmlns:fx="http://javafx.com/fxml/1">
   <children>
      <Label layoutX="14.0" layoutY="30.0" text="Name" />
      <Label layoutX="14.0" layoutY="71…

Fixing "resource modena.css not found" in SBT

I have a project that is building a system in Scala. Its GUI is being defined using the ScalaFX system, which is a thin layer that delegates to the underlying JavaFX tools, components and features.

The application was running with a fine-looking GUI in early testing, but all the builds were being driven by the IDE. For various reasons, we wanted to migrate the build to the SBT system.

But upon launching with
$ sbt run
we would get entries like this in the console:
[info] Running StartHere
May 21, 2016 8:50:28 PM com.sun.javafx.css.StyleManager loadStylesheetUnPrivileged
WARNING: Resource "com/sun/javafx/scene/control/skin/modena/modena.css" not found.

The application would compile without issue and would run correctly, but looked terrible. For instance there would be no edges visible for buttons or for text box input fields.

Obviously, a dependency was missing from the build.sbt file. It was easy enough to add, with a line like the following:
unmanagedJars in Compile += Attribute…

Trigger Windows Scheduled Task from Remote Computer via Jenkins

One thing I love about working in Information Technology is the opportunity - the NEED - to constantly learn new things. If a week goes by in which I have not looked up something on StackOverflow or other message boards, I start lobbying my team for more challenges.

This week, I learned the power of running "SCHTASKS.exe" from a command-line script for a remote server in a Microsoft Windows environment.

If you don't know Schtasks, you can read up on it here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb736357(v=vs.85).aspx

In a nutshell, it is the command-line interface for the Windows Task Scheduler, and allows you (or a system administrator) to create, change, run, query, terminate, and delete scheduled tasks on a work-station, either the local one or a remote one.

Not all of the features are available in older versions. In my scenario below, this was relevant as the local computer will be a Windows 8 machine, and the remote server is, shall we say, a muc…